Characteristics, Advantages & Applications
- A concentrated degreasing cleaning solution ideal for use in cleaning cargo tanks, deep tanks, bilges, engine rooms, decks etc.
- Acts quickly and thoroughly - readily disperses in water.
- Separates the waste emulsions and breaks down the water from the oil into two phases. That way, it provides the advantage to discharge the waste on land/on shore slop stations around the world.
- Non-corrosive, non-toxic and non-conductive.
- Alternatively, sometimes used as a general degreaser in difficult cleaning situations, it will also contribute to gas freeing.
- Can be safely applied to all kinds and types of metal surfaces (painted or not).
- No known effect on rubber and plastic compounds.
- May be combined with a specific range of products.
- Cost effective, easy to apply and use.
During 1996, chemical tankers were only permitted to use tank cleaning agents, which had been approved and evaluated by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO). SOLBREAK was evaluated through IMO’s Working Group on the Evaluation of Safety and Pollution Hazards of Chemicals (ESPH Working Group) and found to meet the requirements of paragraph 1.8.2 of the P&A Standards.
SOLBREAK is a blend of superior organic solvents, non-ionic and anionic surfactants and chemical advanced wetting agents.
|Appearance / Color||Pale liquid|
|Odor||Slight Aromatic Solvent Odor|
|Order No||Size (in litres)||Container|
Application and Use
A. Dosing Procedure
The quantity of SOLBREAK to be used is proportional to degree of cleaning required, the available downtime and the level of residual contamination. As such, the appropriate quantity to be used should be based on the user’s judgment. However, for light contamination, a dilution with water is possible. For medium contamination a dilution with gas oil is feasible, where as for heavy contamination, it is suggested to use SOLBREAK undiluted. Note that in the two last cases, where water is absent and immersion/soaking method is being used, the remaining solution can still be used for further cleaning; this can be for the same immersion/soaking method or for another type of product application method i.e. for brushing.
B. Cleaning Procedure
Once the quantity of SOLBREAK is determined, apply using any of the methods of brushing and/or soaking/immersion.
Brushing is used in situations where small areas have heavy deposition and on highly contaminated parts or engine components. Brushing is also good for the awkward areas.
Soaking/Immersion is used in situations where we deal with dismantled parts, articles and engine components. Here, brushing may be applied in coordination with immersion to remove heavy accumulation.
After the application, no matter what method has been used, you must rinse off with sea or fresh water (preferably warm and under high pressure).
Safety and Handling
|HANDLING||Handle with care. Store in a dry, cool and well ventilated environment.|
|Eye Contact||Avoid Eye contact. Otherwise, flush with plenty of water for a few minutes. Seek medical attention.|
|Skin Contact||Avoid Skin contact. Otherwise, wash contaminated area thoroughly with water. Seek medical attention.|
|Inhalation||Avoid inhalation of vapors. Otherwise, seek fresh air source at once. Seek medical attention.|
|If Swallowed||Avoid ingestion. Otherwise, consume a considerable quantity of water. Do not induce vomiting. Seek medical attention.|
|GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS||Avoid spillage, splashing and mishandling. Precautionary measures for body protection are strongly recommended before use.|
Read the Material Safety Data Sheet before using this product.
For detailed information on safety and health, please refer to Material Safety Data Sheet and/or Product Label.