Multifunctional Lubricant for low speed marine diesel engines
Please note that Shell Melina S is NOT recommended for trunk-piston engines and in these cases Shell Melina should be used.
- Low speed marine diesel engine crankcase and piston cooling systems
- Turbochargers, geared transmissions, oil lubricated stern tubes & deck machinery
- All ancillary equipment requiring an SAE 30 oil
Benefits of using Shell Melina S
Improved engine operation and reliability
- Shell Melina S effectively neutralises the highly corrosive combustion acids which can contaminate the main system when cylinder oil drains leak past piston rod glands
- Good resistance to corrosion results in protection of metal surfaces from corrosion
- Good detergency keeps crankcases and under piston spaces clean and optimise efficiency
- Good air release & antifoam properties mean that air is released from the oil without foaming
Lower Maintenance Costs
- Good Oxidation stability combats thermal degradation of the oil and extends its useful life
- Good water shedding properties mean that water can be easily removed by centrifuge
- Extreme pressure properties make the oil suitable many gear oil applications
Shell Melina S Oil is approved by all major low speed diesel engine manufacturers.
Typical Physical Characteristics
|Shell Melina S||Test||Result||Units|
|SAE Viscosity Grade||30|
|Kinematic Viscosity||40°C||IP 71||104||mm2/s|
|Viscosity Index||IP 226||102|
|Flash Point||Closed Cup||IP 34||227||°C|
|Load carrying capacity||FZG||11||Fail Stage|
|Pour Point||IP 15||-18||°C|
|TBN - E||IP 276||5||mg/KOH/g|
|Sulphated Ash||IP 163||0.62||% wt|
These characteristics are typical of current production. Whilst future production will conform to Shell's specification variations in these characteristics may occur.
Shell RLA and Shell RLA OPICA engine condition monitoring services are ideal for users of Shell Melina S. Use of these services enable the ship operator to monitor the condition of the oil and equipment, and enable remedial action to be taken when necessary. This helps to avoid, breakdowns, costly downtime and all the associated inconvenience. To fully benefit from this service, samples should be taken at regular intervals of approximately 750 hours.
Health & Safety
Shell Melina S is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application. Avoid contact with the skin. Use impervious gloves with used oil. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water. For further guidance on Product Health & Safety refer to the appropriate Shell Product Safety Data Sheet.