Multifunctional Lubricant for low speed marine diesel engines
- Crankcase systems of low speed crosshead marine diesel engines operating on residual fuel
- Main and auxiliary trunk piston diesel engines burning distillate fuel
- Turbochargers, geared transmissions, oil lubricated stern tubes, variable pitch propellers
- Deck machinery and marine ancillary equipment requiring an SAE 30 oil
Benefits of using Shell Melina
Improved engine operation and reliability
- Shell Melina effectively neutralises the highly corrosive combustion acids which can contaminate the main system when cylinder oil drains leak past piston rod glands.
- Good water shedding properties enables water to be easily centrifuged out of the oil
- Good thermal & oxidation stability gives the oil a high resistance to oil thickening which results in minimal deposits
Lower Maintenance Costs
- Excellent dispersancy keeps sump tanks free from sludge and allows contaminants to be easily removed by filtration or centrifugal separation
- Multifunctional properties allow the number of different lubricants used to be reduced
Shell Melina is approved by all major low speed diesel engine manufacturers including Sulzer and MAN / B&W
- API - CD
- US Military - MIL-L-2104C
Typical Physical Characteristics
|SAE Viscosity Grade||30|
|Kinematic Viscosity||40 °C||IP 71||104||mm2/s|
|100 °C||IP 71||11.8||mm2/s|
|Viscosity Index||IP 226||102|
|Density||15 °C||IP 365||0.897||kg/l|
|Flash Point||Closed Cup||IP 34||227||°C|
|Load Carrying Capacity||FZG||12||Fail Stage|
|Sulphated Ash||IP 163||1||% wt|
These characteristics are typical of current production. Whilst future production will conform to Shell's specification variations in these characteristics may occur.
Shell RLA and Shell RLA OPICA engine condition monitoring services are ideal for users of Shell Melina. Use of these services enable the ship operator to monitor the condition of the oil and equipment, and enable remedial action to be taken when necessary. This helps to avoid, breakdowns, costly downtime and all the associated inconvenience. To fully benefit from this service, samples should be taken at regular intervals of approximately 750 hours.
Health & Safety
Shell Melina is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application and good standards of personal hygiene are maintained. Avoid contact with the skin. Use impervious gloves with used oil. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water. For further guidance on Product Health & Safety refer to the appropriate Shell Product Safety Data Sheet.