Advanced Lubricant for medium speed trunk-piston engines running on distillate fuel
- Highly rated medium speed diesel engines operating under high load or overload conditions
- General ship application, including gears, where specialist lubricants are not required
Benefits of using Shell GADINIA AL
- Excellent piston and crankcase cleanliness, which helps to maintain engine efficiency.
- Load carrying properties required for use in reduction gears.
Lower Maintenance Costs
- Excellent liner lacquer control that maintains lubricating oil consumption at its normal level.
- A high level of protection against bore polishing - another cause of high oil consumption.
Protection for engines where cylinder liner lacquering is likely to occur
- Rolls-Royce, Bergen
- Deutz AG
- MAN B&W Diesel AG
- Simplex (Compact Sterntube Seals)
Typical Physical Characteristics
|Shell GADINIA AL|
|SAE Viscosity Grade||30||40|
|Kinematic Viscosity||40 °C||IP 71/ASTM D445||94.5||140||mm2/s|
|100 °C||IP 71/ASTM D445||11.4||14.3||mm2/s|
|Density||15 °C||IP 365/ASTM D4052||0.893||0.900||kg/l|
|Flash Point||Closed Cup||IP 36/ASTM D92||>200||>200||°C|
|Pour Point||IP15/ASTM D97||-18||-18||°C|
|Load Carrying Capacity||FZG||IP 334||12||12||Fail Stage|
|Sulphated Ash||ASTM D874 / IP 163||1.65||1.65||% wt|
|BN||IP 276/ASTM D2896||15||15||mg KOH/g|
These characteristics are typical of current production. Whilst future production will conform to Shell's specification variations in these characteristics may occur.
The medium-speed diesel engine is becoming more demanding to lubricate. Higher engine efficiencies are being achieved through engine designs, which incorporate higher cylinder - pressures, higher combustion temperatures, and the use of very high-pressure fuel injection. In some modern distillate fuelled engines, these conditions may lead to the formation of a layer of brown or black lacquer on the cylinder liner surfaces. This can fill in the honing pattern, resulting in a loss of oil control and runaway oil consumption. The condition is particularly common in severe operation (e.g. overload or high torque conditions). There is also evidence that it is more common where low sulphur (< 0.5% wt.) distillate fuels are in use.
Health & Safety
Shell GADINIA AL is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application and good standards of personal hygiene are maintained. Avoid contact with the skin. Use impervious gloves with used oil. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water. For further guidance on Product Health & Safety refer to the appropriate Shell Product Safety Data Sheet.