Cylinder Lubricant for low-speed crosshead diesel engines
Cylinder lubrication of low speed marine diesel engines which burn residual fuel with a sulphur content of between 1.0 to 4.0% weight.
Benefits of using Shell Alexia 50
Improved Engine Reliability
- Outstanding acid neutralising properties which help to prolong the life of components
- Minimal deposits on pistons, piston rings, ring grooves, under piston spaces and in cylinder ports.
- Low cylinder and piston ring wear with typical cylinder wear rates below 0.05 mm per 1000 hours due to enhanced boundary lubrication properties.
Lower Maintenance Costs
- Keeps engines exceptionally clean, minimises maintenance requirements and allows the periods between overhauls to be extended
- Completely stable in storage under all the widely varying conditions encountered aboard ship
- Proven ability to keep engines clean and control wear & scuffing in the latest engine designs
- Compatible with all normal oil seal materials.
Approved by all manufacturers of low speed crosshead diesel engines
Typical Physical Characteristics
|Shell Alexia 50||Test Method||Result||Units|
|SAE Viscosity Grade||50|
|Kinematic Viscosity||400С||ASTM D445 - IP 71||225||mm2/s|
|1000С||ASTM D445 - IP 71||19.5||mm2/s|
|Viscosity Index||ASTM D2270 - IP 226||>95|
|Density||150C||ASTM D4052 - IP 365||0.932||kg/l|
|Flash Point (Closed)||Pensky Martens||ASTM D 93 - IP 34||>205||0C|
|Pour Point||ASTM D 97 - IP 15||<-6||0C|
|BN||ASTM D2896 - IP 276||70||mg/KOH/g|
|Sulphated Ash||ASTM D874 - IP 163||8.7||% wt|
These characteristics are typical of current production. Whilst future production will conform to Shell's specification variations in these characteristics may occur.
Mixing of Cylinder Lubricants
Please note that due to its high additive content, it is not advisable to mix Shell Alexia 50 with any other cylinder lubricant
Oil Feed Rates
Insufficient cylinder oil feed rates can lead to corrosive wear, seized and broken rings and consequent blow-by and scavenge fire risks, and to the formation of excessive deposits.
To obtain optimum performance with Shell Alexia Oil 50 it is important to :
- Observe the engine manufacturers' recommended cylinder oil feed rates as the minimum.
- Consider using higher rates, especially when running in new liners and/or rings
- Equally distribute the oil between injection quills
- Ensure the lubricator drive system is well maintained and properly adjusted
- Clean and overhaul lubricator boxes according to engine manufacturers' recommendations
Health & Safety
Shell Alexia 50 is unlikely to present any significant health or safety hazard when properly used in the recommended application and good standards of personal hygiene are maintained. Avoid contact with skin. Use impervious gloves with used oil. After skin contact, wash immediately with soap and water. For further guidance on Product Health & Safety refer to the appropriate Shell Product Safety Data Sheet.